Running an extended backwash can clear up any potential clog in the system. Please note this process has a low risk that the bottom distributor may fail (especially on older units), letting resin beads escape into the plumbing.
1. Hold the Recharge button until the motor starts to turn, then let go.
2. When the motor stops, the tank will start filling. We are going to skip this by tapping the Recharge button one time.
3. When the motor stops, the tank will start brining. Press the Recharge button one more time to advance to the backwash cycle.
4. Once in backwash, you will hear a large flow of water through the system and out your drain hose. During the backwash, fresh water flows upwards through the media, moving it around and creating pathways for flow.
5. Unplug your unit from the outlet and set a timer for 20 minutes.
6. After the 20 minutes is up, plug your unit back in and let the softener automatically finish the recharge (about 10-15 minutes).