- Pliers (optional)
Replacing the Valve Head is a multi-step process of disconnecting and reconnecting parts. Use the article and the demo video below to properly replace your valve:
1. Turn the main water off in your home and open a nearby softened water faucet to relieve pressure in your plumbing.
2. Unplug the softener’s power cord from the outlet and bypass the water softener by pushing the handle in on the back of your unit. This will stop water from coming in or out of the softener while you work.
3. Take the top cover off your unit by unhooking the 2 clips in back, near the inlet and outlet ports. Place the cover to the back or side of the unit, being careful not to disconnect any wires.
4. Disconnect the electronic connections from the top of the softener:
a. Motor – unplug thick black and red wires at clear plastic connection piece.
b. Switch – unplug the white plastic connector at end of orange and green wires.
c. Wire Harness – unclip harness from around the outlet port.
5. You should now be able to remove the top cover of your unit, keeping all the wires still connected to the control board.
Depressurize the Unit
6. Hold the Recharge button until the motor starts to turn, then let go. The motor will stop after a few seconds. You will see ‘Recharge Now’ or ‘Recharging’ flashing on the screen.
7. Press the ‘Recharge’ button one time quickly. The motor will turn on, moving to the next cycle.
8. Repeat Step 6 until the flashing 'recharge' indicator disappears from your screen.
9. Remove the black C-clips from the softener/bypass connection. Pull one side of the black plastic C-clip away from the softener, and slowly roll it towards the other side to remove.
***If the clips seem stuck, slowly and gently rock the softener back and forth slightly while applying pressure to the clip as described above to free them.
10. Pull the softener away from the bypass assembly.
Disconnect Valve Head
11. Disconnect the Drain hose by releasing the black clip on the right-hand side of the head (pictured below left).
12. Disconnect the Brine hose by unscrewing the white nut attached to the Venturi (pictured below right).
13. Remove the large white clamps from the tank neck by unhooking the retainer clips that hold them together.
14. With both hands on the valve head, wiggle it side to side as you pull it up and off.
15. Check the position of the riser tube O-ring. It should sit about ¼ inch down from the top of the riser tube (pictured above).
16. Carefully place the new head onto the riser tube and push down until it rests on the tank below.
17. Reassemble the large white tank clamps and secure with clips around the neck.
18. * Check your Outlet port for the Turbine and Support assembly (pictured below). If your outlet port is empty, make sure to transport the turbine and support from your old valve head and insert it into the new head.
19. Reconnect the softener to the bypass assembly and attach the black C-clips.
20. Reattach the brine and drain hoses to the head.
21. Reconnect the wires to the Motor and Switch. The switch connection should have one exposed terminal/prong. Feel free to use the graphic in Step 4 for reference.
22. Reconnect the Wire Harness onto the Outlet port.
23. Reopen the main water supply, take the system off bypass, and watch for leaks.
24. Return the top cover and run a manual advance check:
a. Hold the Recharge button until the motor turns on, then let go. You will see ‘Recharge Now’ or ‘Recharging’ flashing on the screen.
b. Press the Recharge button once to advance to the next cycle. Repeat this each time the motor stops until the flashing recharge indicator on the screen disappears, and the home screen returns.