This article outlines the correct steps to properly install a rigid drain hose to your water softener.
1. Purchase a compression fitting (1/4 in. NPT x ½ in. minimum tube) and 1/2 inch tubing from your local hardware store, along with any other PVC pipe or fittings needed to run the drain route. Further information on this can be found in your owner's manual.
2. Locate the drain adaptor elbow on the top right-hand side of your unit (pictured below). You can leave this on the unit for the following steps, or remove it for convenience.
3. Cut the hose barbs off the end of your drain adaptor elbow.
4. The remaining threads on the drain adaptor elbow are standard ¼ inch male threads. We recommend using Teflon sealing tape at this threaded connection. Attach your ¼ inch female thread compression fitting onto the drain adaptor.
5. Add any ½ inch PVC pipe or fittings as needed to access the nearby drain. Your rigid drain set-up should look similar to this when completed: