Morton® Water Softeners can be installed by anyone who has basic plumbing skills, a little time, and some DIY savvy. Read on to learn more about the basics.
Water Softener Installation Checklist
Before you begin your installation, it is recommended that you create a checklist to ensure you don’t miss any important steps. A little planning goes a long way. Check out your included installation manual for specific installation details, but in the meantime, here are the essential items to get you started:
- Make sure the install location is level, dry and close to the main water line, a drain and an electrical outlet.
- Confirm that your incoming water pressure is within the 20-125 psi range. Pressure outside this range can cause poor performance or damage to the unit.
- Gather your tools according to your installation manual.
- Gather and inventory the included installation parts and accessories.
- Turn off your water supply at the main line.
- Drain the water lines by turning on a faucet at the highest and lowest points in the house.
- Install the bypass valve to the softener.
- Move the softener to the install location to ensure proper water supply connection height.
- Pro Tip: Using a flex connector can help simplify connection of the bypass valve to the plumbing.
- Connect bypass valve to water supply.
- Pro Tip: Make sure that the incoming water connects to the inlet on the valve and that the outlet on the valve connects to the water supply going into the house. (it’s easy to make a mistake, look closely at the a back of the valve for “in” and “out”)
- Connect the included drain lines from the softener valve and the tank overflow.
- Turn on the water supply and check for leaks.
- Run water in the house to remove air from the lines.
- Add 3 gallons of clean water to the salt tank.
- Using a bucket, fill your brine tank half-full with salt (between the 2 and 5 on the salt level marker).
- Plug in the power supply enter your home’s preferred settings by following your manual instructions, or reading our Softener Programming Guide.
- Slowly open the bypass valve and check for leaks.
- To sanitize the system, follow the instructions in the manual and complete an initial manual regeneration.
- Connect WiFi, download and setup the iQua smartphone water management app (available only with the Morton® Water Softener)
Interested in learning more about the water softener installation process?
For additional installation assistance, see your product owner’s manual.