- Silicone-base lubricant
This article outlines the step-by-step process to replace the O-rings between your softener and bypass assembly.
1. Bypass the water softener by pushing the handle in on the back of your unit. This will stop water from coming in or out of the softener while you work:
2. Depressurize the unit by running a Recharge cycle. Hold the Recharge button until the motor starts to spin, and then release. You will see ‘Recharge Now’ or ‘Recharging’ flashing on the screen.
3. To speed up the cycles, press the Recharge button once each time the motor stops spinning. Repeat this until the ‘Recharge Now’ or ‘Recharging’ disappears from the screen.
4. You can now gently pull one side of the black plastic c-clip away from the softener, and slowly roll it towards the other side of the c-clip to remove.
*If the clips are still not easy to remove, they may be bound because the system isn’t completely level. Slowly and gently rock the softener back and forth slightly while applying pressure to the c-clip as described above to free them.
5. Pull the softener away from the bypass assembly to expose the O-rings.
6. Remove the two existing O-rings. Use silicone grease to lubricate the new O-rings.
7. Gently roll one new O-ring onto either side of the bypass assembly. Slide the O-rings up to the first white plastic ridge on the bypass pipe.
8. Push the softener back onto the bypass assembly and reapply the black C-clips, making sure all three teeth are engaged in the respective slots.
9. Open the bypass valve (pull out) and check for leaks over the next few days.