This article provides step by step instructions for replacing your salt tank.
Clean Your Salt Tank
1. Remove any existing salt from your tank. If the salt is dry and still in full pellet/crystal form, you can store and reuse for later. Any wet, solidified, or broken-down salt should be discarded.
2. Use a wet/dry vac or vessel to remove any remaining water from your salt tank.
1. Turn the main water off in your home and open a nearby softened water faucet to relieve pressure in your plumbing.
2. Unplug the softener’s power cord from the outlet and bypass the water softener by pushing the handle in on the back of your unit. This will stop water from coming in or out of the softener while you work.
3. We will have to transfer the Brinewell (pictured below) over to the new tank.
4. Take the lid off the brinewell. Pull up on the black hose, bringing the float assembly all the way up and out of the well. Leave the float assembly to lie in the tank.
5. Unscrew the wingnut from the screw inside your brinewell. Remove the brinewell from the salt tank.
6. Place the brinewell into the new salt tank and secure to the side of the tank with the wingnut and screw. The well should rest on the bottom of the salt tank.
7. Remove the top cover by unhooking the two clips in the back that hold the cover onto the tank below.
8. Disconnect the electronic connections from the top of the softener:
a. Motor – unplug thick black and red wires at clear plastic connection piece.
b. Switch – unplug the white plastic connector at end of orange and green wires.
c. Wire Harness – unclip harness from around the outlet port. The harness has a white, black, and red wire attached to it.
9. Set your top cover and salt lid aside.
Disconnect from Bypass
1. Remove the black C-clips from the softener/bypass connection. Pull one side of the black plastic C-clip away from the softener, and slowly roll it towards the other side to remove.
a. If the clips seem stuck, slowly and gently rock the softener back and forth slightly while applying pressure to the clip as described above to free them.
2. Pull the softener away from the bypass assembly.
Disconnect Valve Head
1. Disconnect the Drain hose by releasing the black clip on the right-hand side of the head (pictured below left).
2. Disconnect the Brine hose by unscrewing the white nut attached to the Venturi (pictured below right).
3. Remove the large white clamps from the tank neck by unhooking the retainer clips that hold them together.
4. With both hands on the valve head, wiggle it side to side as you pull it up and off.
5. Check the position of the riser tube O-ring. It should sit about ¼ inch down from the top of the central riser tube (pictured above).
6. Carefully set the Valve Head to the side.
7. Remove the rim/tray by unsnapping it from the tank. The float assembly and hose will still be attached to the rim. Set these to the side.
8. Pull the Resin Tank up and out. Set to the side, keeping the tank standing vertically.
9. Move the salt tank away from the bypass, so we can assemble the new tank.
Assemble Your New Tank
1. Move your new salt tank into position in front of the bypass assembly.
2. Place the resin tank into your new salt tank. Make sure this tank sits straight up and down and does not rest at an angle.
3. Locate the rim and float assembly. Place the float assembly in the brinewell, and snap the rim onto the new tank. This will secure the neck of the resin tank.
4. Looking back at the brinewell, confirm the float assembly is resting on the bottom, and the black hose is sitting in the notch in the top of the well. Place the lid back on the well.
5. Move your valve head back onto the riser tube, and push down until it rests on the neck of the resin tank.
6. Reassemble the large white tank clamps and secure with clips around the neck.
7. Reconnect the softener to the bypass assembly and attach the black C-clips.
8. Reattach the brine hose to the left side of the venturi.
9. Reattach the main drain hose/elbow onto the right side of the head.
10. Grab the top cover and position it to the back/side of your softener so we can reattach the wire connections:
10. Reconnect the wires to the motor connection.
11. Reconnect wires to your Switch. The switch will have one exposed prong.
12. Reconnect your Wire Harness onto the Outlet port.
13. Reopen your main water supply, take the system off bypass, and watch for leaks.
14. Plug the power supply into the outlet.
15. Run a manual advance check:
a. Hold the Recharge button on the lid until the motor turns on, then let go. You will see ‘Recharge Now’ or ‘Recharging’ flashing on the screen.
b. Press the Recharge button once to advance to the next cycle. Repeat this each time the motor stops until the flashing recharge indicator on the screen disappears. Check for leaks around the valve head each time the motor stops running.
16. Reattach the top cover and salt lid to your unit.