The Control Board is the brain of your unit, housing all of your preferences, and controlling the moving parts on the softener. This article will walk you through how to properly install a new replacement electronic control board.
1. Unplug the power cord from your outlet.
2. Bypass the water softener by pushing the handle in on the back of your unit. This will stop water from coming in or out of the softener while you work:
3. Remove the top cover by unhooking the two clips in the back that hold the cover onto the tank below.
1. On the underside of the cover, you’ll see your control board (may be covered by a removable heat shield). It is held on by four clips on each corner. Go ahead and pull the board off the cover by unhooking the clips, so you can hold the board in your hand:
2. Disconnect the wires from the board:
a. Remove the red plastic Wire Harness connector (5 colored wires).
b. Remove the red Power Supply tabs.
c. The black/red Motor wires are hardwired into your board. Follow these wires toward the softener and disconnect at the white plastic connector.
d. If you have a tank light, you'll need to remove this from the front left corner of the main tray.
1. Locate your new control board and remove the plastic film on the front screen.
2. Reconnect the wires to your new board (feel free to use the graphic above for reference):
a. Press the red Wire Harness connector onto the metal prongs. This connector will only fit securely one way, with the wires running away from the board.
b. Connect the red tabs of your previous (or new) power cord. The red power supply connectors can be installed in either direction, it is okay if they are switched around.
c. Connect the end of the black/red wires from your board to the black/red wires coming from the motor on your unit.
d. If you have a tank light, you'll need to insert it into the hole in the front left corner of the tray.
3. Snap the new board onto your cover and place the cover back on top of your softener.
4. Plug the power supply into the outlet and take the unit out of bypass.
1. You may be prompted by dashes ‘- - - -‘ on the screen to chose your model code. Use the Up/Down arrows to find your appropriate code.
Find your appropriate code in the list below, or in the first line of the Specification table in your manual.
|Water Softener||Model Code|
|M20 (20,000 grain)||o20|
|MHY (hybrid unit)||oHy|
|M27 (27,000 grain)||o27|
|M30 (30,000 grain)||
|M34 (34,000 grain)||o34|
|M45 and M45C (45,000 grain)||o45|
2. After choosing your model code, press the Select/Program button to lock it in. From there, use our Softener Programming Guide, or your owner’s manual to continue selecting your preferences.