This article will provide steps to resolve why your softener is not metering water usage.
How does my unit meter water?
Normally as water exits your softener, it spins a turbine that communicates with a magnetic sensor. The sensor sends the water flow pulse to the display, allowing you to track real-time water flow.
Check Your Bypass
1. Confirm the single valve bypass is pulled OUT to allow water flow through the softener. If you have a 3-valve bypass (pictured), confirm the valves are in the correct positions:
2. Test for metering by holding the Program button until '000' appears. If you see a '000h' here, your metering device is attached upsidedown. Visit our '000h' article to troubleshoot.
3. Turn on a hot water faucet and watch for the numbers to count. If they do not count, please continue to step 4.
Check for Backwash Metering
4. Testing for metering in the Backwash stage will confirm that your plumbing setup is correct. To do this, first confirm your softener is not in a recharge cycle, and turn off all water fixtures and pause any appliances in your home (washing machine, dishwashers, sprinklers).
5. Hold the recharge button until the motor starts, then let go. The motor will run for a few seconds, then shut off. This will ignite the Fill cycle. The machine should be rather quiet. If you hear a lot of water exiting the drain here, press the Recharge button once and wait for the motor to stop. Then press once more to get into the correct position.
6. Tap the Recharge button once to move into the Brine cycle. After the motor stops, press once more to move to the Backwash cycle. You should hear a large volume of water going to the drain.
7. Hold the Program button until '000' appears on the screen, then let go. Are the numbers counting?
a. YES; This means there is water flowing through your softener backwards, and something is still wrong with the plumbing. Please Contact Us if this is the case.
b. NO; Continue to step 8 to check the metering sensor. Tap the recharge button once to move to the Rinse cycle. Wait a few seconds, then tap Recharge again to stop this recharge.
Test the Sensor
8. Remove the top cover by unhooking the two clips in the back, holding the cover onto the tank below.
9. Position the cover so you can still see the display. Check that all wire connections are secure between the control board and softener.
10. Hold the Program/Select button until ‘000’ appears on the display, then let go.
11. Locate the Wire Harness on the back left-hand side of your unit (pictured). The harness clamps onto the Outlet port, and has three cords attached to it: black, white, and red.
12. Unclip the harness from the outlet port and locate the magnetic sensor stem protruding from the center:
13. Hold the harness in your hand and tap a magnet (refrigerator magnet will work) all around the bottom and sides of that magnetic sensor.
14. Watch for the ‘000’ to count up on the screen.
a. If the numbers count, your sensor is functioning properly. Reattach the sensor to the Outlet port and follow the instructions in our Cleaning the Turbine article.
b. If the numbers do not count, your Wire Harness/Sensor likely needs replacing. If you are still under warranty, have your serial/model number handy and Contact Us. Otherwise, replacement parts can be purchased here.