Follow the steps below to test the direction of flow through your water softener:
1. Make sure your softener is plugged in, and not currently recharging.
2. Turn off all water in the home and confirm the softener is not bypassed. Check to see if there is a 3-valve bypass on your home plumbing. If so, the incoming/outgoing valves should be open, with the center valve closed. NOTE: This test will not allow anything to exit your softener, we are just letting water into the unit and out the drain.
3. Press and hold the Select button until ‘000’ appears on the display, then let go. If the ‘000’ is counting, there is still somewhere in the home where water is turned on/flowing.
4. Hold the Recharge button until the motor starts, then let go. (Note: If you hear a large flow of water exiting the drain hose here, the softener’s Clean feature may be enabled. Skip to step 7.)
5. Press the Recharge button once to advance to the Brine cycle and wait again for the motor to stop.
6. Press Recharge again to advance to the Backwash cycle. After the motor has stopped, you should be able to hear and see a continuous heavy flow of water to the drain.
7. Does the ‘000’ number count continuously as the softener backwashes?
a. YES; water is entering the softener via its outlet port, and the unit is likely installed backwards.
b. NO; the softener is installed correctly, and the water is passing through the unit in the correct direction.