An Error code generally indicates a malfunction in the electronic components during a recharge. Use this article as a guide to determine the source of the error, and how to fix it.
What Does it Mean?
Err05 - Control Board is not accepting signal from switch.
Err01/Err03 - Control Board not receiving signal from switch, or motor is malfunctioning.
Err04 - Receiving signal from switch, but at incorrect time.
Diagnosing the Error
Bypass and Unplug
- Bypass the water softener by pushing the handle in on the back of your unit. This will stop water from coming in or out of the softener while you work:
- Unplug the power supply and remove the top cover by unhooking the two clips in the back, holding the cover onto the tank below:
Check the Wire Connections
- Check all wire connections in the photo below to confirm no wires are loose or disconnected:
Switch – this white plastic connector is attached to the green and orange wires. Confirm it is pushed snug against the black switchbox. The rightmost metal prong on the box should be exposed.
Wire Harness – this should plug in to the 5 prongs on the back of your display screen. The red plastic connector only fits one way and should be flush with the board.
Motor – the thick red and black motor wires connect at a clear white clip. Confirm this clip is connected to the matching wires coming from the back of the display screen.
Test the Valve
- Plug the power supply back into the outlet and listen to the softener. If the motor is continuously spinning for more than a minute, skip to step 6. If the motor is not running, continue to step 5.
- Hold the Recharge button down for a few seconds. Does the motor start?
- NO (or making a knocking noise); please Test the Motor.
- YES; the ‘Recharge’ should be flashing on the screen. Keep pushing the Recharge button each time the motor stops, until the flashing ‘Recharge’ disappears. Your instructions end here.
- Hold the Program button until ‘000’ appears on the screen, then let go. You will see the screen below:
7. Is the screen switching between open and closed?
a. YES; the valve is trying to find a home position. If the Error Code returns over the next several minutes, the Control Board likely needs replacing. If you are still under warranty, please Contact Us. Otherwise, replacement parts can be purchased here.
b. NO; If the screen is not switching back and forth, the Switch and Wire Harness likely need replacing. If you are still under warranty, please Contact Us. Otherwise, replacement parts can be purchased here.
Testing the Motor
(continuation of Step 5.a. from above)
- Unplug the unit and remove the top cover.
- Locate the motor on top of the Valve Head. It is the black rectangular box with red and black wires coming from the right side.
- Unscrew the two metal screws that hold the motor onto the valve.
- Hold the motor in your hand upside down, so you can see the gear on the underside. Plug the unit back in, and tap the Recharge button once.
- Does the motor spin?
- NO; you will probably hear repeat beeping – this means you need to replace the Motor. If you are still under warranty, please Contact Us. Otherwise, replacement parts can be purchased here. Your instructions end here.
- If it does start to spin, the valve may be jammed. Contact Us for additional direction.