This article walks through the appropriate steps to properly clean your drain hose and elbow.
1. Bypass the water softener by pushing the handle in on the back of your unit. This will stop water from coming in or out of the softener while you work:
2. You may want to take off the top cover for easier access - unhook the two clips in the back of the cover. Place the cover to the back or side of the unit, being careful not to disconnect any wires.
3. Remove the black rectangular clip that holds the drain hose elbow to the softener head pictured below). The clip pulls straight up and out.
4. Pull the entire white plastic drain hose elbow out to the right, disconnecting it from the softener’s head.
5. Use a towel inside the drain elbow port to clean any sediment or salt residue. Blow air through the elbow to confirm there are no obstructions in the drain hose.
6. Reconnect your drain hose to the valve head with the black rectangular clip.
7. Return the top cover to the unit and pull the bypass back out.
8. To check your drain hose route, take a look at the Drain Hose Requirements.
If needed, return to our Excess Water in Tank article.