As water exits your softener, it spins a turbine that communicates with a magnetic sensor. That sensor sends the water flow pulse to control panel, allowing the unit to track your water usage. This article guides you in locating and cleaning the turbine.
1. Bypass the water softener by pushing the handle in on the back of your unit. This will stop water from coming in or out of the softener while you work:
2. Depressurize your unit by running a Recharge cycle. Hold the Recharge button until the motor starts to spin, and then release. You will see ‘Recharge Now’ or ‘Recharging’ flashing on the screen.
3. To speed up the cycles, press the Recharge button once each time the motor stops spinning. Repeat this until the ‘Recharge Now’ or ‘Recharging’ disappears from the screen.
4. You can now gently pull one side of the black plastic c-clip away from the softener, and slowly roll it towards the other side of the c-clip to remove.
a. If the clips are still not easy to remove, they may be bound because the system is completely level. Slowly and gently rock the softener back and forth slightly while applying pressure to the c-clip as
described above to free them:
6. Pull your softener forward and away from the Bypass assembly. Inside the Outlet port, you will see the white plastic stem on the Turbine Support. Pull the stem out with your hand or pliers.
7. The Turbine (fan) will ride on a white plastic support piece. Clean both the turbine and support thoroughly with warm, soapy water, and wipe the inside of the outlet port clean. Be careful to pay close attention to the sensor stem hanging down inside the outlet port.
8. Set your turbine back on the support (magnets face up), and blow on the turbine to confirm is spins freely.
9. Reinsert the 2-piece system in the outlet port, with the magnets facing in towards the head of the unit. Make sure to push the system in as far as it will go and blow on the turbine again to confirm it still spins freely inside the port.
10. Push the softener back onto the bypass assembly and reapply the black C-clips. Open the bypass valve (pull handle out) and check for leaks.
Testing the Turbine
1. Hold the Program/Select button until ‘000’ appears on the screen, then let go.
2. Turn on the hot water side of a faucet and watch to the ‘000’ screen. It should count up and restart each time a gallon of water passes through. If you do not see the numbers counting:
a. Feel free to check several water faucets in your home with this test. If the numbers never count, you may need a replacement Turbine and Support. If you are still under warranty, have your serial/model number handy and Contact Us. Otherwise, replacment parts can be purchased here.